Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Kvelertak release debut album in the U.S.

I've been looking for an excuse to write about the debut album from Kvelertak since the end of last year when the original discovery was made, and as it's just been released in the U.S, now seemed the perfect time.


http://www.theomegaorder.com/KVELERTAK-Kvelertak




This album was definitely in my top five of last year and is one of the most powerful collections of music I've ever come across. The tone is set immediately with "Ulvetid" a track of monstrous proportions.  An almighty shout, heavyweight drumming and crashing guitar are followed by a throat ripping vocal (to coin a phrase from my good friend Tim Vee) and we are into heavy metal Valhalla as the Norwegian's pin you to the nearest wall.  It's that vocal that will deter a number of listeners, as is the case with metal in general, but give this album a chance, as it has so much to offer.  The influences are as much rooted in 60 and 70's heavy rock, as more current metal and the three guitar assault not only provides incredibly strong rhythms, but also some fantastic breaks and solos.  There's also subtlety apparent here, which may at first go unnoticed.  "Mjod" with it's sudden, although brief introduction of acoustic guitar, "Fossegrim" with it's strangely refreshing keyboards and in particular the outro to final track "Ytrydd Dei Svake" which again hosts acoustic guitars but they take on an almost country feel.


Probably, more than any other genre, the rhythm sections in metal are key to the overall experience and Kvelertak don't shirk their duties. Some solid bass riffs, with a deep reverberation that could remedy a chest infection from 20 metres and when it comes to the drums!!!!!  I have a theory that somewhere in Norway, there's an academy along the lines of the X-Men, where mutant drummers gather, only to be let loose for periods of recording and tours.  Mutants in that when placed behind kit, they become multi limbed, as surely someone with the standard provision of arms and legs can't play in that way.  I'm well aware that there are various tricks that can be used to provide the sensation of inhumanly quick and powerful drumming, but I don't hear them on this album.  Perhaps someone with a more trained ear could correct me, but this all sounds very human and the rhythms are extenuated throughout.


I'm sure you will have noted the song titles and the whole album is in the bands native language. This makes absolutely not one jot of difference as far as I'm concerned as who really cares what they are singing about when the music is so downright incredible.


Highlights....... all of it, but perhaps "Sultans of Satan" with it's melodic chorus really shines.  This is the band showing real variation within a single song of epic proportions.  The instrumental break in the middle is breathtaking.  The ghost of Jimi Hendrix calls round to jam before near apocalypse takes place prior to the lone guitarist stepping from the ruins to crank out a riff before the band conjoin to bring everything to a meteoric conclusion. Heavy rock / metal, whatever the hell label you want to add, at it's absolute best.   


Metal isn't for everyone, but it's from these ranks that some of the most inventive and truly inspirational music is being produced.  Kvelertak are touring the U.K with Comeback Kid in April and I'll be there, down the front, at The Manchester Academy.  Will I survive, who knows, I doubt my ear drums will, but let's hope the Norse Gods Kvelertak must surely worship, appreciate my devotion and allow me to return relatively unscathed.   .           




www.myspace.com/kvelertak


http://www.youtube.com/user/kvelertak

2 comments:

  1. North American release could mean Canadian tour. Got my fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, but if you see them before me next month, I'll be deicidedly unhappy. (See what I did there)

    ReplyDelete