Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Miserable Rich

I still remember the first time I heard The Miserable Rich, a live session on Marc Riley's show during which they played "The Boat Song" the sheer beauty of which, I'm not afraid to admit, brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. Subsequently I purchased the first album "Twelve Ways to Count" catching the band live for the first time at Dulcimer in Chorlton just outside Manchester.   Their gorgeously melodic, string based arrangements and the wonderfully controlled vocals of James De Malplaquet continued to stimulate through the darker, more lyrically intense second album "Of Flight and Fury" culminating for me with a performance at Manchester's Deaf Institute which is quite simply one of the most impressive and wonderfully understated gigs I've ever attended.


With baited breath I've awaited album number three, a close eye kept on the social network sites, noting recordings taking place in a palace within Norfolk, regarded as one of the most haunted houses in England. On that theme, being inspired by all things ghostly the new record is due for release on October 31st, Halloween, although thankfully with five months still to wait, a new John Barry influenced single "Anythings Possible" is available to stream and buy via the link below. 

http://themiserablerich.bandcamp.com/



It's immediately apparent the new song reveals a change in direction, electric guitar tones replace the more accustomed acoustic and what's that I hear..... drums!!  The artwork highlights a sixth member to the band, one David "Badlace" Schlectriemen, who along with performing recording engineer duties, played drums on this track and the new album.  Much lighter in tone than "Of Flight and Fury," "Anythings Possible" confirms the melodious nature of The Miserable Rich, perhaps hinting towards more pop awareness for album number three?  


If I know the nature of one of my favourite bands of the last few years however, it's distinctly feasible the single could prove a smokescreen for a completely different facet to the new material only to be discovered come October.  With a band as talented as The Miserable Rich, as the man says "Anythings Possible."  

www.themiserablerich.co.uk


www.soundcloud.com/themiserablerich






No comments:

Post a Comment